Thursday, December 17, 2009

Business


I haven't been writing as consistently as I would like to. It has been six days and that is not good. This blog is supposed to help me get used to working in a routine and to develop my writing and creative thought processes. I don't know how much it is working but I must say that I have enjoyed just going a little easier on myself since my Japanese class ended. I am feeling pretty sane and relaxed as I go into Christmas.

This should be one of the busiest times of year for my bag sales and I should be frantically sewing more and more bags to keep my shop full. But, I guess I was lucky that my October sales were low. I have been selling, not a huge amount, but steadily since Thanksgiving. Now my inventory is low on my ETSY store so I am going to try to put up a few more things.

There was an article on the front page of NY times on-line last night about sellers on ETSY. They were saying that some make over $100,000/year. To me, that is no longer a hobby or a novelty. Either they have employees or they are working 16 hour days, or both. I would like to consider my business a real job, but I also want to do it so that I can have balance in my life between my family, my friends, my work and my own self-maintenance.

I know it sounds corny, but at this point, I am just persevering, putting my faith in the universe, and trying to be happy in the moment. I am off to sew. I'll write more after Christmas - I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment