Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hibernating

We are expecting the first big storm of the season tomorrow - 1 to 2 feet of snow with high winds. I have my written final in Japanese at 10 a.m. but other than that, I would be happy to be stuck in the house for a few days. We got loaded up on groceries and we got some extra DVDs. I have some good books and I still have my socks to finish knitting. I got my latest orders out to the post office so anything else that comes in can wait a few days. The girls would love a snow day and we could sure use the moisture.

The only thing I need to do is some Christmas shopping and I can do that on line. I plan to buy a lot from ETSY. The girls gave us their lists today and they were small and sweet. It is nice that we all feel that we don't want or need a lot of things this year. I always make the girls pajamas. I have done it since they were born. Now that my class is over, I can concentrate on doing more sewing and getting ready for the holidays. We usually celebrate Christmas and Hannuka because my husband is Jewish. The more cozy festivities the better. When the girls were little I read them a great book called "Light the Lights" about a mixed family and how both of these holidays bring warmth and light in the dark of winter.

Since we lived in London, we also celebrate on Boxing Day. We were amazed at how much the English celebrate. I always thought Americans were known for overdoing it at the holidays, but the Brits add a party element to it that really takes it to another level. We absolutely loved it! All the food and drink, parties, decorations and theatrical performances, all steeped in traditions. I'm not sure how old a tradition the balloons and disco lights at the children's party was, but people seemed to expect it and we went along with it happily and with an open heart.

I'll write more about our holiday traditions later but for now I will just say that my mind is on the preparations and I am glad that the snow is going to help make it seem more immediate and exciting.

In times like this though, I am very thankful for what I have. A warm house, a healthy family, relative security and modern conveniences. I also have low-tech conveniences like blankets, candles, boots, mittens, snow shovel, fireplace, etc. I don't know how well my skirts are going to hold up if I have to walk two miles in a blizzard to my final. I hope it doesn't come to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment