Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sunday - Funday! Music in Sydney

One of the big advantages of living in an urban area is the richness of the music scene. It's been a while since I saw The Clash, The Talking Heads, Wilco, or so many other great bands. But I still appreciate a great show, and I still know how to rock and roll (even if I do wear earplugs now).

I was jealous that my husband and younger daughter got to go see Belle and Sebastian before I got here. They were at the Opera House and, unsurprisingly, gave a great show. So far, the list of shows seen by my family are: B&S, Sufjan Stevens, Darwin Deez, Elbow, The Vaccines, and the one that I saw - Glasvegas. It was in a pretty small club, packed with a nice enough, fun loving crowd of hipsters, rockers, and gray haired music lovers all mixed together. I was relieved that I was not the only one over 20 something. The singer was charming, the musicians were passionate and skilled, and the audience sing-along was actually top-notch. I will definitely be keeping my eyes on the listing around town. Maybe my body and my wallet can handle one show every couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment