Friday, February 5, 2010

LIFE stories


I have an idea to write about people in the form of a short story. It could be people I know very well such as friends or family. Or, it could be people that I barely know, whom I have only observed from a distance or only heard about. Either way, the point would be to tell the story strictly from my point of view and focus on the things that seem important to me.

I have always been interested in the way lives play out. I think that everyone's life could make an interesting story depending on how it is framed. If you focus on the unusual, the twisted, the deep, dramatic, or disastrous, everyone has something interesting. I also think that it is sometimes easier for an outsider to see the thread of a plot without being bogged down in too much superfluous detail.

I did write a story like this one time about a friend and I gave it to her as a gift. I don't think she really appreciated it, but maybe that is because the truth is hard to see sometimes. Once when I was overseas, I was trying to describe my life here in Arizona to some new friends. I was telling the stories of a few of the people that I thought exemplified the community. I thought I was telling something mundane and trivial, but from their point of view, it was fascinating and even outrageous!

I also have a background in psychology and have always been interested in how people behave, what they choose to believe in, and why they become the people they become. I think it is interesting from an individual perspective but also from a community and sociological standpoint.

I am going to start to take notes on various people (spy on them) and then write up a story. Granted, it will have to be classified as fiction because I would not want to be held to any facts. I will not use names. I will write in the third person. I will openly profess that it is a biased creation of my imagination.

Check back.

No comments:

Post a Comment