Friday, March 12, 2010

4 SKIRTS: Update - March




I've been thinking about the success, or effectiveness of my 4 skirts project. Has it accomplished what I wanted, have I learned anything from it, has it made any difference at all?

I originally wanted to streamline my wardrobe, minimize my consumption, and challenge myself to stick to a project for the sake of discipline.

I have definitely streamlined my wardrobe. I'm just not sure if this is a good thing. I was overwhelmed with too many clothing choices. I was hoarding clothes and feeling like I needed more in order to be stylish. So I have stopped doing that. I have made better use of some of my clothes but I have almost forgotten about others. I like having my daily outfit predictable. It is less of a bother. But I have gotten boring and sloppy. I pick things that go together too well and lack imagination or style. On the other hand, I sometimes throw on anything together with one of my skirts even if they clash (and not in a good way).

I have definitely minimized my consumption and I even lust after things much less. I don't really shop as much as I used to and when I do, I am much more likely to pick something that is quality over quantity. I am starting to think about my birthday and some new duds that I would love from handmade sellers on ETSY.

I mentioned before that I adopted a new skirt so that really, now, I have 5 skirts - even though I really only wear 4 of them. I did also slip a couple of times but I did not let that dissuade me. I am realizing that I am not a disciplined person and I don't really like following strict rules. So I think I am doing a pretty good job with this, but I don't think it is really going to have any long term effect on me.

With winter being so long and cold it is hard to think about any fashion other than flannel pajamas and down coats and boots. I think I have managed this aspect of it pretty well with leggings, leg warmers, scarves and sweaters. But, I have to say that I am itching for summer (I think our Spring is just going to be more snow and wind)! I think my skirts wardrobe will be revitalized when I can shed all the bulky layers.

My 12 year old daughter informed me that I need to pay better attention to my total look - accessories, jewelry, shoes, and hair style must go with the skirt and top. I knew this but I have gotten lazy and sloppy.

I am going to try harder over the next 3 months. I will even consult her when I am in doubt. I am glad I chose 4 skirts because I do love the skirt.

1 comment:

  1. Skirts? Living here in the backwoods of TN, my wardrobe has been reduced to jeans and tees. My mama would be appalled!! :)

    ReplyDelete