Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Life in a Southwestern Town


Well, being of Irish descent and having the name Sheila Clancy, I always feel a little "holier than thou" on St. Patty's day. I'm not really sure what it is we are celebrating here in America but, walking around downtown Flagstaff today, it seemed everyone was celebrating sunshine, warmer weather, and beer!

This town was founded by two Irish brothers from Chicago who came out to make it big in the timber industry. They built a ton of things including the Catholic church and a large, Craftsman style home now known as the Riordan Mansion. Now a days, with the economy in the toilet, the state of Arizona is closing almost all of its state parks including the mansion (which the family donated to the park system). It is a sad statement about the cycle of progress, growth, decline, and decay.

I could use that glass of Guinness now.

The photo is of me and my lovely daughter. We are wearing our Clancy shirts made by my talented and gorgeous niece, Amy. They are made of organic cotton from Alternative Apparel. Check out her shop. Maybe she could do a custom family shirt for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment