Monday, January 25, 2010

Moody Monday





Well, everyone was back at school and work today, and I was back at work, alone in my workroom. It was nice to have quiet, but I also kind of missed everyone. I don't know why but I am feeling nostalgic and missing my friends and family who are far away.

I got some photos of my brother and his wife and kids that live in Christchurch, NZ. and one of my oldest and best friends posted some photos from the 80's on facebook. I really felt the distance of time and place but I am also glad that we are the kind of people that stay close even though our lives are happening separately.

I called my friend and she was sad. She said I must be psychic since she needed to talk. She is just going through a rough patch right now. I was glad that I was there for her but I hung up feeling sad and worried. I started thinking again that all of our lives are stories even if we don't see the plot. Some are tragic, some are glamorous, all have their ups and downs.

It is hard when we are in the thick of it to see the bigger picture, but I think it helps. It helps to have some perspective and to know that all the bits together make up the richness of the story.

My sister Peggy got cancer and died young. We all thought this was wrong and went against nature, fate, all meaning, understanding, and life itself. I still think it was a tragedy and it was, at least in part, the result of human negligence. But now, when I think of her life in its entirety and of the legacy that continues in her spirit, I think that she has an amazing story. I will write it and post it nearer to her birthday in March.

I think about Proust all the time who supposedly drew huge amount of time out of seconds by focusing on details, by being in the moment, by not taking anything for granted. There is a great book called "How Proust Can Change Your Life". I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you lost your dear sister Peggy. I look forward to hearing her story.

    I think I might have to get that book!

    ReplyDelete