Sunday, September 13, 2009

It's all in the Lighting


I live in a place where the quality of the light is as much a part of the environment as the trees and hills. At over 7000 ft above sea level, the air is thin and the sky is almost always a shade of blue that is more aqua than sky. The summertime white puffy clouds change the quality of the light. Sometimes there is smoke from a distant fire that blows in and really changes the light, especially at sunset.
Different lights can change your mood or change your impressions of a situation. I know I am strongly effected by the amount and the quality of light I am exposed to. If I am quiet and not too distracted, I can even notice the differences when I am inside.
This evening the light had a green quality. It was dark and shining at the same time. I thought of a suspenseful murder mystery where everything was still but about to shift. I went outside and tried to figure out what was creating this light. It was almost sunset and there were some clouds but it was not fine or stormy weather. It had been a hot day. I tried to photograph it but was unable to capture it. I hope I have described it well enough to create a visual impression.
I cleaned the house today while David took the girls shopping for new jeans. They are both still growing. I am sooooo ready to throw away everything I own and just live like a monk. I wouldn't want to get rid of my sewing machine or my computer though!
I didn't go anywhere today but I wore my Michele skirt with a dark red cotton cardigan that I got several years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment