Monday, August 24, 2009

Learning Japanese



Today I start my new class: Japanese 101! I have always had a fascination with all things asian. Lately, I have been obsessed with Japanese art, design, and culture. I love the movies, I love the music, and I love their sense of style and fashion. I could write a whole book about all the example of what I love and why, but for now, I will give a few brief examples. 1. Hayao Miyazaki is a genious and from what I can tell, a saint. He is a feminist, an ecologist, and an intense artist. If you haven't seen all of his movies, rent them and start. Go out now and see the new Ponyo. 2. I love the classic woodcuts of Utagawa Hiroshige and the contemporary works of Chiho Aoshima especially her City Glow! 3. The music of Tsuji Ayano playing the yukelele - the video is a little cheesy, but honestly, how can you not feel good listening to that and seeing the countryside? 4. The adorable (kawaii) fabric prints.

March of 2008 my family and I went to Tokyo for a week for spring break. We had never taken a short trip like that, just for a vacation. We usually travel for months at a time in connection with my husband's work. We had very high expectations and had prepared ourselves for some let down when fantasy met reality. However, it exceeded our expectations! We absolutely fell in love with it even more. We hope to go back there soon and live for at least a year.

So now, my daughters and I are learning Japanese. They went to a fabulous Japanese language camp last summer called Concordia Language Village. And I am taking a year of it at the university here in Arizona. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment